Updated March, 2020
The Hastings Center is dedicated to service in the field of bioethics, and a key component of that service is an unwavering commitment to privacy. The Hastings Center, for over 50 years, has respected the privacy of the public, our supporters and contributors, and our staff.
What personal information we collect and why we collect it
You can visit The Hastings Center website without revealing personally identifiable information about yourself. Personal information is information that identifies you as an individual. We may ask you for personally identifiable information for the following purposes:
Registering for our newsletter or subscribing to Hastings Bioethics Forum, the blog of the Hastings Center Report. We may collect your name and email address to send you our newsletter and a notification about new blog posts.
Posting comments. If you leave a comment on our blog, we collect your name and email address, and the information shown in the comments form, as well as your IP address to help with spam detection.
Making an online donation. We collect your name, IP address, postal address, and billing information. We will not share this information with third parties (except with our financial institution to ensure proper processing).
Job applications. If you apply for a job through out website, we will ask for personal information including your name, contact information, education and work history. We will not share this information with outside organizations.
We use the personally identifiable information we collect through out website primarily for such purposes as:
- Helping to establish and verify the identity of users
- Opening, maintaining, administering, and servicing users’ accounts
- Processing, servicing, or enforcing transactions and sending related communications’
- Improving our website
- Providing users with newsletters and other information about The Hastings Center
- Maintaining the security and integrity of our systems
You can opt out of receiving our newsletter and other communications at any time by following the instructions on how to unsubscribe.
If you leave a comment on our site you may choose to save your name, email address, and website in cookies. This option is for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies last for one year.
If you have an account and you log in to this site, we sill set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me,” your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
When you visit The Hastings Center’s website, like when you visit most other websites, certain anonymous information about your visit is automatically collected, including the server name and IP address, location, the pages you visited, and the amount of time spent on particular pages.
We use Google Analytics to track use of our website. To learn more about how Google use data, visit https://policies.google.com/privacy/partners. For opt-out options specific to Google Analytics, please visit https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Whom we share your data with
- Other than as described above, we do not disclose any personally identifiable information that we collect from our website to third parties for their marketing purposes.
- We may disclose anonymous information in aggregated form to third parties in order to provide anonymous demographic information about our user base to in order to improve our website.
- We may disclose personally identifiable information to unaffiliated service companies to help us maintain and operate our website, process payments or transactions, or for other reasons related to the operation of our own business or marketing. We require these service-related companies to take steps to maintain the confidentiality of any personally identifiable information they may receive from us, and require them to use such information only for legitimate business purposes.
- We may disclose personally identifiable information about you in connection with legal requirements, such as in response to an authorized subpoena, governmental request or investigation, or as we otherwise believe, in good faith, to be required by law.
- As our business develops, we may sell or buy corporate assets, and in such transactions customer information may be one of the transferred business assets. Also, in the event that our website, The Hastings Center, or substantially all of its assets are acquired, personally identifiable information may be one of the assets transferred in such acquisition.
This website is directed towards and designed for use by persons aged 13 or older. We will not approve applications of, or establish or maintain registrations for, any child whom we know to be under the age of 13. We do not solicit or knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13. If we nevertheless receive personally identifiable information from an individual who indicates that he or she is, or whom we otherwise have reason to believe is, under the age of 13, we will delete such information from our systems.
The Hastings Center maintains physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to help guard your personal information. Personally identifiable information is transmitted to and from our website in encrypted form using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) connections to help protect such information from interception. We restrict access to personally identifiable information to those persons who have a legitimate reason to know that information and any persons you have authorized to have access to such information. While we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us or from our online products or services, and you use these services at your own risk.
The Hastings Center
21 Malcolm Gordon Rd.
Garrison, N.Y. 10524